St. Mary's Church, Woolland ST77613 06985 (Lead authors: SA and KJH)
Woolland is a small village on the lower slopes of Bulbarrow Hill. The present church only dates from 1856 but is the fourth to be built on the present site.
The walls are mostly Corallian Trigonia Clavellata Beds, with Ham Hill Stone dressings – that is windows, doorways and string courses.
In the church interior are some larger columns of a grey crinoidal 'marble', which is probably Carboniferous Limestone. (see photo below)
The columns in the chancel are both made of Purbeck Marble and Devon marble.
The distinctive mould of Myophorella Clavellata, a Jurassic bivalve formerly known as Trigonia.
The interior of the church is very impressive, with a pulpit of Caen Stone. The chancel arch, and the side arches are Bath Stone, a very fine oolitic limestone.
Font of Corallian Limestone, probably the Todber Freestone. Photo: JT