Church of St. Mary, Drimpton. Not graded. NGR: 341837 105021 Lead author: PS
Drimpton is a village situated 5 miles northwest of Beaminster and 3.5 miles southwest of Crewkerne in Somerset. It lies within the civil parish of Broadwindsor. This small simple church (1) in Early English style was built as a chapel of ease to the parish church of St. John the Baptist in Broadwindsor about two miles away. The church was consecrated in 1867.
Money for the building was raised by public subscription and the main building stone for the walls, Inferior Oolite, was gifted by Captain Spurway of Catherston from a local quarry on his estate. The roof is slate. A porch in reconstituted stone and wood was added in the mid-20th century (2).
Ham Hill Stone, from the quarries of Mr. John Trask at Norton-sub-Hamdon, Somerset, was used in the windows on the south side (3, 4, 5). There is also a small bellcote of Ham Hill Stone with a single bell at the west end (3).
Triassic Otter Sandstone, from Bishops Lydiard in Somerset, was used in the windows on the north side (6, 7, 8) and the east window. On the north side there is also some Lydiard Stone in the buttresses (9) and some rough stone in the wall.
The south side buttresses are all made of Ham Hill Stone (10). The footings on the south side are faced with Flints (11) but on the north side small cobbles of rubble stone are used.
Some of the Inferior Oolite used in the walls is oolitic (12). Much of the stone contains fragments of fossils (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19).
Only the exterior was viewed.