Church of St George, Reforne, Portland. Grade: 1 , NGR: SY 68653 72012. Lead author: PS
The former Anglican parish church (1, 2) is now in care of The Churches Conservation Trust having fallen into disrepair after it was replaced by All Saints Church, Easton in 1917.
Both the church and the graveyard have been rescued by the Friends of St. George and are now in good condition. The graveyard (3, 4) has many excellent early carved headstones in Portland Stone.
The church was built to replace St. Andrew’s church at Church Ope to the design of local, master stone-mason Thomas Gilbert in 1764 (dedication 1766). A north porch was added early in the 19th century. The building is entirely of ashlar Portland Roach (5, 6) with lead roofs, except slates on the apsidal sanctuary (7).