Blandford :The Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul (ST88564 06311)
Lead authors :JT and WGT
The parish church was built by the Bastard brothers after the fire of 1731 mostly of Upper Greensand from Wiltshire. Unfortunately they placed the stone vertically instead of in the natural horizontal position, and it has not weathered well. Much of the walls are covered in rendering.
In 1896 the apse was moved eastward, and a new chancel inserted. The ashlar of the new walls contrasts with the smaller blocks of the 18th century. In addition, the new windows are built of Portland Stone. You can see fossil seashells 2-3” long in the photo (above right).
All the text and images here were produced for an exhibition in Blandford by Geoff Townson and Jo Thomas.
The west and south doors of the 18th century church are built of Portland Freestone, which is oolitic.
The plinth on the north side of the church has been made of heathstone from the remains of the early church. Heathstone would have been found in large boulders on the surrounding hills. Photo:JT